Since ancient times, cinnamon is one of the important condiments used for culinary as well as medicinal purposes. But you have to be very careful, because not all cinnamon is good and true. Here’s how to distinguish a fake from real cinnamon.
However, there is a significant difference between true Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon, which is usually sold at most grocery stores.
Good is rich in powerful health benefits, and bad can seriously damage the general health, especially the liver.
How to distinguish between fake and real cinnamon?
First of all, both these types of cinnamon come from different types of wood. This cinnamon comes from India, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Madagascar or the Caribbean, and fake – from Indonesia, China and Vietnam.
Secondly, these types differ in taste and appearance. In the store, sold cinnamon, a dark reddish-brown color and a spicy aroma stands out, and in the present – a lighter color and a sweet, soft and delicious aroma.
Third, the most striking difference between these types of cinnamon is the content of compounds known as coumarin.
Ceylon cinnamon contains about 0.017 g / kg, while cinnamon cassia contains 2.15 -6.97 g / kg coumarin.
Kumarin is a powerful anticoagulant and a diluent of blood, and is not recommended for people who use drugs such as warfarin. Along with its effect on blood, if consumed above the recommended dose, it can harm the liver. Admissible daily intake is about 0.1 mg / kg body weight.
So, a person who weighs 68 kg should have about 6.8 mg per day. Since 1 gram of cinnamon contains 2.15-6.97 mg of this substance, you can consume about 1/5 teaspoon per day.
To provide the necessary health benefits, take it, but make sure it is cinnamon-like Ceylon.
How to choose high-quality cinnamon?
1. Look at the cinnamon label. Select the one that is marked as:
- True cinnamon
- Ceylon cinnamon
- Cinnamomum Verum
2. Make sure that you buy organic cinnamon to avoid contamination with preservatives and pesticides.
3. In the case of cinnamon bark, the real cinnamon curls in the circle, and the counterfeit appears in a two-handed wand.
4. Real is lighter, powdery and fluffy unlike ordinary cinnamon.
5. Real, as a rule, more expensive. However, this may not be the best indicator, but it can help a lot.
Health Benefits of True Cinnamon
Once we have discussed the differences between the two types of cinnamon and how to choose the best product, it’s time to discuss the health benefits of this incredible spice.
1. Cinnamon is rich in manganese, a microelement, which plays an important role in the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats and the maintenance of healthy bones.
It is also high in fiber, which improves digestion, calcium, which strengthens bones and iron, which promotes energy production. Thus, it is replete with powerful nutritional properties.
2. Cinnamon is replete with powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that protect the immune system from flu and colds.
3. According to studies, anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon can protect against neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease. This disease significantly increases the rates in North America, so it is very important to obtain the protective benefits of this incredible spice.
4. If you suffer from insulin resistance, prediabetes, type 2 diabetes and PCOS, cinnamon will definitely help you. Some studies have shown that ½ teaspoon cinnamon per day can lower blood glucose, blood pressure and HbA1C levels by improving the insulin response.
5. Cinnamon can prevent early signs of aging due to a strong effect on oxidative and inflammatory compounds in the body.
How to get the most out of cinnamon?
Here are a few recipes that will help you get the most out of this incredible spice. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Hash Brown with Cinnamon
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. With butter, coconut oil or ghee
- ½ sweet potato chopped
- 1 tbsp. Cubes of yellow or red onion
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (Those who love cinnamon, can add even more)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne water
- Sea salt to taste
1. In a frying pan, heat a little oil over medium heat. The bottom of the pan must be closed.
2. Add onions, sweet potatoes, cayenne pie, cinnamon and salt.
3. Using a spatula, stir the mixture well.
4. Cover it with occasional stirring.
5. When the cough is soft, remove the lid and fry it quickly in a small hot fat for a minute.
6. Remove the pan from the fire and serve.
- Eggs poached, scrambled, lighter
- Seeds and nuts Hemp and walnuts are an excellent source of protein
- Chicken minced meat, turkey, bison, beef. Add some of your favorite spices and herbs to some of these types of meat.
We hope that this article will help you make a difference between the two types of cinnamon, and you will not be deceived to buy some kind of fake.